
जब एक पत्रकार को बनना पड़ा कर्मकांडी पंडित
----------------------------------------------------------
मेरठ के एक मंदिर में गुजारे वो दिन, जब स्वतंत्र लेखन के साथ कुंडली निर्माण, छिपकर बनने वाले शिकार-भात और पत्रकारिता के जुनून का दौर चल रहा था
दिनेश कुकरेती
किस्सा वर्ष 1996 का है। दिल्ली से तब मेरा मोह भंग होने लगा था। हवा-पानी के कारण नहीं, तंगहाली के चलते। लेकिन, मैं लौटकर घर भी नहीं आना चाहता था। यह तो परिस्थितियों से हार जाने वाली बात होती। इसलिए मैंने मेरठ में रहने का मन बना लिया। असल में मेरठ मेरे मामाजी रहते हैं। तब वे मलियाना शुगर मिल के मंदिर में पुजारी हुआ करते थे। रहते भी मिल परिसर में ही थे। छडे़-छांटे थे, इसलिए उनके साथ रहने में कोई दिक्कत भी नहीं थी। हां, कभी-कभार गांव से नानी जरूर आ जाया करती थी। इससे मुझे भला क्या दिक्कत होती। बस! मैंने भी दिल्ली से सामान समेटा और आ धमका मेरठ मामा के पास। मन में था कि मामा के साथ पूजा पद्धति और ज्योतिष में पारंगत हो लिया जाए, ताकि जरूरत पड़ने पर रोजी का एक मजबूत विकल्प हमेशा अपने पास मौजूद रहे।
हुआ भी ऐसा ही। कुछ ही दिनों में मामा ने मिल के मंदिर की सारी जिम्मेदारी मुझे सौंप दी। मसलन, सुबह-शाम मंदिर की साफ-सफाई, पूजा, कीर्तन-भजन, प्रसाद वितरण वगैरह-वगैरह।अब अधिकांश दिनों में सुबह चार बजे से पूर्वाह्न 11 बजे और फिर शाम को चार बजे से रात नौ बजे तक मंदिर की रेख-देख से लेकर पूजा-पाठ तक मैं ही करता था। खाली वक्त में स्वतंत्र लेखन चलता रहता। इस बीच मैंने मामा से गुजारिश की कि किसी अच्छे ज्योतिषी से मिलवा दीजिए, ताकि मैं ज्योतिष की बारीकियां सीख सकूं।
ज्योतिषी का मिला साथ, सीख ली ज्योतिष
--------------------------------------------------
मुझे कर्मकांड से ज्यादा आकर्षित हमेशा ज्योतिष करती रही है। आज भी करती है। ईमानदारी एवं सही ढंग से अध्ययन किया जाए तो यह काफी हद तक गणित और विज्ञान का मिश्रित रूप है। संयोग से एक दिन मामा के साथ मुझे मेरठ के एक जाने-माने ज्योतिषी के पास जाने का मौका मिला। उनका नाम तो याद नहीं रहा, लेकिन थे बडे़ ही आत्मीय और जानकार व्यक्ति। मामा के आग्रह पर उन्होंने फलित ज्योतिष और कुंडली बनाने के कुछ महत्वपूर्ण सूत्र मुझे बताए, जो आज भी मेरी डायरी में नोट हैं। फिर क्या था, मैं जुट गया कुंडली निर्माण में। दो दर्जन से अधिक लोगों की कुंडलियां मैंने बिना कोई शुल्क लिए बनाईं।
पंडितजी के साथ भजन गायक भी
-----------------------------------------
कर्मकांड भी लगभग मैं पूरा सीख गया था। इससे मामा की यजमानी में मेरा अच्छा-खासा दखल हो गया। जाहिर है पंडितजी होने के नाते हुलिया में भी कुछ तब्दीलियां करनी पड़ीं। अब कुर्ता-पायजामा और धोती-कुर्ता मेरे प्रमुख वस्त्र हो गए। साथ ही भजन-कीर्तन में भी रस आने लगा। सो, घर में खराब पडी़ हारमोनियम को मैंने दुरुस्त करवा लिया। एक मित्र ने ढोलक का भी इंतजाम कर दिया। अब रात का भोजन करने के बाद भजन लहरियां गूंजने लगीं। मैं भजन गायक बन गया, श्रोताओं की तो खैर आस-पड़ोस वैसे भी कमी नहीं थी। मंदिर का चढा़वा भी मामा ने मुझे अपने पास ही रखने के लिए कहा था, सो उससे हर दूसरे-तीसरे दिन चिकन-मटन का भी इंतजाम होने लगा।
पंडितजी का किचन
------------------------
पहाड़ के पंडित मांसाहार से परहेज नहीं करते, लेकिन ज्यादातर मैदानी इलाकों में पंडित चिकन-मटन तो छोड़िए लहसुन-प्याज तक नहीं खा सकते। खैर! आस-पडो़स वालों को हमने बता रखा था कि डाक्टर ने हमें लहसुन-प्याज खाने की सलाह दी हुई है। इसलिए उन्हें हमारा लहसुन-प्याज खाना अखरता नहीं था। हां! चिकन-मटन बनाने में बेहद सावधानी बरतनी पड़ती थी। हमारे दो हालनुमा कमरे थे और एक से होकर ही दूसरे का रास्ता खुलता था। सो, भीतरी कमरे में हमने किचन सजा लिया। यहां मैं तेज खुशबू वाली धूप या अगरबत्ती जलाकर चूल्हे में चिकन अथवा मटन का प्रेशर चढा़ता था। आस-पडो़स में सीन ऐसा बना रखा था कि कोई भी भीतर वाले कमरे में प्रवेश न करे। नतीजा, पडो़सी घर पर पहली बार आने वाले व्यक्ति को पहले ही सतर्क कर देते कि भूल से भी पंडितजी के किचन में न जाना।
चावल को पर्दे में रखने की परंपरा ने बचाया सम्मान
-------------------------------------------------------------
पहाड़ की परंपरा है कि भात (चावल) को हमेशा पर्दे में रखना चाहिए। संयोग देखिए कि इसी परंपरा ने एक बार यजमानों के आक्रोश का शिकार होने, बल्कि पिटने से हमें बचाया। कभी-कभी उस घटना को याद कर मन प्रफुल्लित हो उठता है। उस दिन मैं दोपहर को शिकार-भात (मटन और चावल) बना रहा था। भात पक चुका था, सो मैंने उसे पतीली में पलटकर प्रेशर में मटन चढा़ दिया। इसी बीच क्या हुआ कि पडो़स की एक महिला किसी काम से हमारे यहां आई और मुझे ढूंढते हुए सीधे किचन में घुस गई। उसे यूं अचानक सामने देख कुछ देर के लिए तो मेरा दिमाग सुन्न पड़ गया था। फिर अचानक पता नहीं क्या हुआ कि मैंने भात की पतीली उठाई और उसे बाहर बंधी पड़ोसी की गाय के सामने उडे़ल दिया। यह देख वह महिला ही नहीं, आसपास मौजूद अन्य लोग भी हतप्रभ रह गए। कोई कुछ कहने की स्थिति में नहीं था, लेकिन सब समझ रहे थे कुछ-न-कुछ गड़बड़ तो जरूर हुई है।
गलती किसी की नहीं थी
-----------------------------
आखिरकार साहस जुटाकर उसी महिला ने मुझसे पूछा- "पंडित जी क्या हुआ, चावल क्यों गिरा दिए?" मैं कुछ देर खामोश रहा और फिर बेहद संयत भाव में बोला- "क्या करता, आप किचन में जो आ गईं।" मेरे मुंह से यह बात सुन पडो़सी समझ गए कि पंडितजी का भोजन अपवित्र हो गया, इसीलिए उन्हें चावल गिराने पडे़। अब उस महिला की भी समझ में आ गया था कि माजरा क्या है। साथ ही वह अपराध बोध भी महसूस कर रही थी। सो, धीरे से बोली- "पंडितजी भूल हो गई। मेरे कारण आपको अब चावल दोबारा बनाने पडे़ंगे।" लेकिन, सच तो यही था कि मेरी जान बच गई थी। इसलिए मैं संयत भाव से बोला-"आप क्यों खुद को दोषी मानती हो। भूल तो तब होती, जब आपको कुछ पता होता। क्षमा तो मुझे मांगनी चाहिए कि मेरे कारण आपको यह सब सुनता पडा़। भूल जाइए कि कुछ हुआ। यह तो होनी थी, तभी तो कहा गया है कि होई सोई जो राम रचि राखा।"
नहीं फैलाए किसी के सामने कभी हाथ
----------------------------------------------
मेरी यह बातें सुन सबके चेहरे खिल उठे। हां! यह फायदा जरूर हुआ कि फिर कभी किसी ने हमारे किचन की ओर झांकने की हिमाकत तक नहीं की। यही तो हम चाहते भी थे। इसका जिक्र मैं ऊपर भी कर चुका हूं। पंडितजी का समाज में रुतबा तो होता ही है, सो मेरा भी था। लेकिन, मैंने कभी भी किसी यजमान से कोई वस्तु नहीं ली। यहां तक कि दक्षिणा की मांग करना भी मेरे स्वभाव में नहीं रहा। हालांकि, यजमान स्वेच्छा से जो-कुछ भी बनता मुझे भेंट दे देते थे और मैं चुपचाप स्वीकार कर लेता था।
जो मिला, परिचितों में बांट दिया, आचरण में रही पत्रकारिता
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
शादी-ब्याह के मौके पर यजमान साडी़ आदि वस्त्र भेंट करते तो मैं उन्हें उपहार के रूप में अपनी परिचित महिलाओं को दे देता। सभी से आत्मीय संबंध थे, सो सभी आपस में एक-दूसरे का ख्याल रखते थे। हालांकि, इस सबके बावजूद मैंने लेखन नहीं छोडा़। "अमर उजाला", दिल्ली प्रेस की पत्रिका "सरिता", जम्मू-कश्मीर सरकार की पत्रिका "योजना" आदि में खूब लिखा। आकाशवाणी नजीबाबाद से काव्य गोष्ठी और वार्ता का भी प्रसारण होता रहा। दोपहर के बाद का समय तो मेरा "अमर उजाला" के दफ्तर में ही बीतता था।
खूब देखी फिल्में, घर के पास ही थी थियेटर
---------------------------------------------------
एक बात और। इस अवधि में मैंने फिल्में भी जमकर देखीं। "हम आपके हैं कौन", "दिल वाले दुल्हनिया ले जाएंगे", "जुरासिक पार्क" जैसी फिल्में तो सात-सात, आठ-आठ बार देखने गया। रात नौ से बारह के शो में तो मैं अमूमन चला जाता था। पास ही रमेश थियेटर था, इसलिए आने-जाने में को दिक्कत नहीं होती थी। तांगा 10 मिनट में पहुंचा देता था। गर्मियों के दिनों में सिनेमा हाल से लौटने के बाद कमरे में जाने के बजाय मैं मंदिर के बरामदे में ही सो जाया करता था।
ज्योतिष पर केंद्रित किया ध्यान, किया धार्मिक ग्रंथों का अध्ययन
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
अब मैंने कर्मकांड के बजाय ज्योतिष पर ज्यादा ध्यान देना शुरू कर दिया था। योजना थी कि पार्ट टाइम ज्योतिषी का ही काम करना है। इसमें रुतबा और पैसा, दोनों ही हैं। इसके लिए फलित ज्योतिष, सामुद्रिक शास्त्र, कीरो का अंक ज्योतिष, भृगु संहिता, केरल का रमल ज्योतिष आदि कितनी ही किताबें पढ़ डालीं। श्रीमद्भागवत महापुराण, गीता, रामायण, वेद, कई पुराण व उपनिषद पढ़ने का मौका भी इसी दौरान मिला। इसी की परिणति थी कि मेरी फलित ज्योतिष पर सम्मानजनक पकड़ बन गई।नया-नया शौक था, इसलिए मेरा उत्साह देख कुछ मित्र भी ज्योतिष सीखने का आग्रह करने लगे। मैंने बडे़ मनोयोग से जो कुछ सीखा हुआ था, उन्हें भी सिखा दिया। इसी बीच मन हुआ कि क्यों न हस्तरेखा पढ़ने में भी महारथ हासिल की जाए। सो, गीता प्रेस गोरखपुर से कई किताबें मंगाकर उन्हें पढ़ना शुरू कर दिया। इसके साथ ही ब्रह्म मुहूर्त में गायत्री साधना भी चलने लगी। लेकिन, कहते हैं ना, आप प्रारब्ध को नहीं बदल सकते।
पत्रकारिता का जुनून रहा हावी, पकड़ी घर की राह
------------------------------------------------------------
मेरे साथ भी यही हुआ। इतना कुछ सीखने और यजमानों के बीच अच्छी-खासी जगह बनाने के बाद भी पत्रकारिता का जुनून ही मुझ पर हावी रही। मेरा ज्यादातर वक्त खबरों की उधेड़बुन में ही गुजरने लगा। एक दिन मन हुआ कि क्यों न कोटद्वार अपने घर वापस लौट जाऊं, पहाड़ में पत्रकारिता करना ज्यादा बेहतर रहेगा। फिर क्या होना था... "मन इच्छा होती नहीं, हरि इच्छा तत्काल" और मैं घर लौट आया, एक नए सफर की शुरुआत करने।
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When a Journalist Had to Become a Ritualist Priest
Those days spent in a temple in Meerut, a time filled with freelance writing, making horoscopes, secretly cooking 'shikar-bhat' (meat and rice), and an overriding passion for journalism.
By Dinesh Kukreti
The story goes back to the year 1996. By then, I was beginning to fall out of love with Delhi. It wasn't because of the weather or the water, but due to sheer financial hardship. However, I didn’t want to return home defeated either. That would have felt like giving up in the face of circumstances. So, I decided to settle down in Meerut.
As it happened, my maternal uncle lived in Meerut. At the time, he worked as a priest at the temple inside the Maliyana Sugar Mill complex and lived right on the premises. Since he was a bachelor, staying with him wasn't an issue at all. Occasionally, my maternal grandmother would visit from the village, but that didn't bother me either. Without a second thought, I packed up my belongings from Delhi and arrived at my uncle's doorstep in Meerut. My plan was to master the rituals of worship and astrology under his guidance, ensuring I always had a reliable alternative livelihood if the need arose.
And that is exactly what happened. Within a few days, my uncle handed over all the responsibilities of the mill temple to me. This included cleaning the temple morning and evening, performing prayers, leading devotional songs (kirtan-bhajan), and distributing offerings (prasad). On most days, I handled everything from temple upkeep to rituals from 4:00 AM to 11:00 AM, and then again from 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM. In my free time, I kept up with my freelance writing. Meanwhile, I requested my uncle to introduce me to a good astrologer so I could learn the finer nuances of the craft.
Embraced by an Astrologer, Mastering the Craft
Astrology had always fascinated me much more than performing religious rituals; it still does today. If studied honestly and systematically, it is very much a blend of mathematics and science. By a stroke of luck, I accompanied my uncle one day to visit a well-known astrologer in Meerut. I no longer remember his name, but he was a deeply warm and knowledgeable man. At my uncle's request, he taught me some vital principles of predictive astrology and horoscope chart creation—notes that remain preserved in my diary to this day. Armed with this knowledge, I threw myself into making horoscopes. I prepared charts for more than two dozen people entirely free of charge.
A Priest and a Bhajan Singer
I also managed to learn almost the entirety of ritualistic worship. Consequently, I began assisting my uncle significantly in serving his patrons (yajmans). Naturally, playing the role of a pundit required a transformation in my appearance. A kurta-pyjama and dhoti-kurta became my primary attire. I also began to find joy in devotional singing. I got an old, broken harmonium at home repaired, and a friend arranged a dholak drum for me. After dinner, the air would fill with the melodies of bhajans. I became a bhajan singer, and as for an audience, there was never a shortage of listeners in the neighborhood. Moreover, my uncle told me to keep the temple offerings for myself, which soon funded a steady supply of chicken and mutton every two or three days.
The Pundit's Kitchen
Priests from the mountains do not abstain from non-vegetarian food, but in most plains areas, pundits cannot even dream of touching chicken or mutton—let alone garlic and onions. Well, we had told our neighbors that a doctor had advised us to consume garlic and onions for health reasons, so they didn't mind us eating them. However, cooking chicken and mutton required extreme caution.
We lived in a set of two large rooms where the second room could only be accessed by walking through the first. We set up our kitchen in the inner room. There, I would light strong-scented incense sticks before putting the chicken or mutton into the pressure cooker on the stove. We maintained an unwritten rule in the neighborhood that no one was to enter the inner room. As a result, neighbors would proactively warn anyone visiting our house for the first time: "Make sure you don't accidentally step into Punditji's kitchen!"
Saved by the Tradition of Veiling the Rice
There is a tradition in the mountains that bhat (cooked rice) should always be kept covered or shielded from sight. By a twist of fate, it was this very tradition that once saved us from the wrath—and perhaps a physical beating—of our patrons. Even today, remembering that incident makes me chuckle.
That afternoon, I was preparing shikar-bhat (mutton and rice). The rice was done, so I emptied it into a pot and put the mutton in the pressure cooker. Just then, a neighborhood woman came over for some chore and walked straight into the kitchen looking for me. Seeing her suddenly standing there froze my brain for a moment. Then, driven by a sudden instinct, I picked up the pot of cooked rice and threw it right in front of a neighbor's cow tied outside.
The woman, along with the other onlookers outside, stood completely dumbfounded. No one knew what to say, but everyone sensed that something was amiss.
Nobody’s Fault
Finally, gathering her courage, the woman asked me, "Punditji, what happened? Why did you throw away the rice?"
I remained silent for a moment and then said in a deeply calm, measured voice, "What else could I do? You walked right into the kitchen."
Hearing this, the neighbors immediately assumed that the priest's food had been rendered impure by the intrusion, which is why he had to discard the rice. The woman realized what had happened and, struck by a wave of guilt, softly said, "Punditji, it was my mistake. Because of me, you will have to cook the rice all over again."
In reality, I had just narrowly escaped disaster. Maintaining my composed demeanor, I replied, "Why blame yourself? It would be a mistake only if you did it knowingly. I should be the one apologizing that you had to witness this. Let's just forget it happened. It was meant to be. As they say, what Rama has ordained is bound to happen."
Never Begged Before Anyone
Hearing my words, everyone’s faces lit up. There was one major benefit to this incident: no one ever dared to peek into our kitchen again, which was exactly what we wanted all along.
As I mentioned earlier, a pundit commands significant respect in society, and so did I. Yet, I never demanded anything from any patron. Asking for monetary offerings (dakshina) was simply against my nature. Whatever the patrons gave out of their own goodwill, I accepted quietly.
Journalism in Practice, Generosity in Life
During weddings, when patrons gifted sarees and other clothing, I would pass them on as gifts to women we knew. We shared warm relations with everyone, and the community looked out for one another.
Despite everything, I never abandoned my writing. I wrote extensively for publications like Amar Ujala, Delhi Press's magazine Sarita, and the Jammu and Kashmir government's journal Yojana. I also broadcasted poetry sessions and talks on All India Radio (Akashvani) Najibabad. In fact, most of my afternoons were spent at the Amar Ujala office.
Movie Marathons and Nearby Theatres
Another detail about this period: I watched movies relentlessly. I went to see blockbusters like Hum Aapke Hain Koun..!, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, and Jurassic Park seven or eight times each. I regularly went to the late-night 9:00 PM to 12:00 AM shows. The Ramesh Theatre was nearby, making commuting effortless; a horse-carriage (tanga) would get me there in ten minutes. During the summer, instead of retreating to the room after returning from the cinema, I would simply sleep in the temple veranda.
Deepening the Study of Astrology and Scriptures
Eventually, I shifted my focus from performing rituals to mastering astrology completely. My plan was to practice as a part-time astrologer, a profession that offered both status and good money. To this end, I devoured countless books on predictive astrology, palmistry (Samudrik Shastra), Cheiro’s numerology, the Bhrigu Samhita, and Kerala's Ramal astrology. It was during this phase that I also had the opportunity to read the Shrimad Bhagavatam, the Bhagavad Gita, the Ramayana, the Vedas, and several Puranas and Upanishads. As a result, I developed a commendable command over predictive astrology.
Since it was a newly acquired passion, my enthusiasm caught the attention of a few friends who requested me to teach them. I gladly taught them everything I had learned with deep dedication. Around the same time, I decided to master palmistry further, ordering several books from Gita Press, Gorakhpur. Alongside this, I began practicing Gayatri meditation during the Brahma Muhurta (the auspicious hours before dawn). But as the saying goes, you cannot rewrite your destiny.
The Passion for Journalism Prevails: Heading Home
The same held true for me. Despite learning so much and carving out a respectable place among the community, my overriding passion for journalism refused to fade. Most of my time was spent untangling and chasing news stories. One day, the urge struck me to return home to Kotdwar, feeling that practicing journalism back in the mountains would be far more fulfilling.
And then, as they say, "Human desires fade instantly when the divine will takes over." I packed up and returned home to embark on a brand new journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for feedback.